PALA TRIVULZIO | Andrea Mantegna, 1497
The history of the altarpiece known as the Pala Trivulzio1, painting by Andrea Mantegna signed and dated 15 August 1497, is a combination of circumstances regarding not only its conservation but also the number of times it was moved. Originally located in the church of Santa Maria in Organo in Verona (1497), the work was in Milan by 1791, according to inventories of the time, at the Trivulzio family home. In 1935 the Milan City Council acquired the painting together with a substantial part of the Trivulzio collection which was put on display in the great hall of the Cancelleria (currently Room XXVI) in the Castello Sforzesco. In 1941 the Pala Trivulzio was moved to Umbria to protect it from the danger of wartime bombing. It was returned to the Civic Museum in May 1944 where it can still be seen.
During in-depth studies2 carried out on the work recently, five different restoration periods were iden- tified: at the turn of the century, Luigi Cavenaghi in 1910-1916, Mauro Pellicioli in 1956, Pinin Brambilla Barcilon in 1988 and Carlotta Beccaria in 2006. The documentation that has been put together will certainly help towards the future conservation and protection of this important masterpiece.
1 from the name of the private collection of the Marquis Trivul- zio family, where the work is kept
2 Mantegna Project – 2008